Classic Scotcheroos made with mini marshmallows for a more chewy texture on one of our favorite treats.
Did you know there are two ways to make scotcheroos…with corn syrup or with min marshmallows? Scotcheroos are a family gathering favorite around here. It was the first treat I was so excited to make on my own (in my little apartment) in college, and I messed it up big time! How does that even happen? How can you mess up something so simple as flavored Rice Krispie Treats? Well it’s possible, and it happened to me. The peanut butter rice krispie bottom was rock hard and then I scorched the chocolate butterscotch top. It was my first cooking fail and definitely not the last. I’m actually happy about the cooking fail now, because I don’t think I would have remembered it if the recipe had turned out right. Sometimes the recipe fail helps you really master getting it right.
What you need to make The Best Scotcheroos:
- mini marshmallows
- rice krispies cereal
- peanut butter
- butterscotch chips
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- flake salt
How to make The Best Scotcheroos:
- Coat pan: On medium high heat in a tall pot on the stovetop, melt butter and coat the pan with the melted butter.
- Melt ingredients: Add the peanut butter, salt and vanilla and continue to melt and stir in with the butter.
- Add marshmallows: Add in the marshmallows, reduce the heat to low, stirring the mixture often.
- Combine with cereal: Pour in cereal and mix until evenly coated.
- Add to pan: Pour into a parchment lined sheet pan and gently press cereal mixture until flat with a piece of parchment on top to keep your hands clean.
- Melt chips: In a small saucepan on low, melt semi sweet chocolate chips and butterscotch chips, stirring often to prevent burning
- Pour overtop: Once melted, pour chocolate mixture over the cereal treats.
- Add flake salt: Sprinkle with flake salt while the chocolate is still warm.
- Cool: Cool to room temp. If you’d like to speed up the cooling time, you can place the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes.
How to store The Best Scotcheroos:
You can store these scotcheroos covered at room temperature and they’ll last around five days. We also love to keep them in the fridge and serve them cold too!
Corn Syrup vs. Mini Marshmallow:
This recipe is a classic and so easy, but sometimes some simple swaps can make all the difference. The biggest change to this recipe is to swap out the sugar and corn syrup for mini marshmallows. It makes such a difference in the chewy texture! Just like the best ever rice krispie treats, the marshmallow to cereal ratio needs to be 2 to 1 for guaranteed soft and chewy best ever scotcheroos. Also we add salt to the mixture and flake salt on top for such a nice addition. If you’ve been making Scotcheroos for years, I would love to have you give these changes a try and then come back and tell me your thoughts. I’m positive you’re going to love them.
Why are they called Scotcheroos?
Unlike regular rice krispie treats, scotcheroos use butterscotch chips, peanut butter, and chocolate. The butterscotch chips used in this recipe is where the funny name comes from.
Tips for Scotcheroos:
We came up with 7 tips for making the best rice krispie treats and they will also come in handy for this recipe. Here they are:
- Don’t measure. Keep your measuring cups clean and just dump it right in.
- The consistency of the marshmallows is key…they need to still be lumpy when the cereal goes into the pot.
- Use way more marshmallows than rice krispies.
- Butter the dish before dumping the warm treats in.
- Butter your (clean) fingers to pat the warm treats down into the pan.
- Butter the knife for a clean cut every time.
- Cut the treats while they’re still warm.
Scotcheroos for festive tailgating football food:
Here’s a fun way to serve up these scotcheroos for your next football game day watch party…perfect for Superbowl Sunday or any football game gathering. We used the Bright White Candy melts to draw little footballs on each individual bar. It helps to make score lines to divide them up before you start to draw the footballs on.
The Best Scotcheroos
Chewy and delicious these are The Best Scotcheroos!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 packages mini marshmallows
- 1 box Rice Krispies cereal 12oz.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
For the Chocolate Layer
- 1 package butterscotch chips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package semi sweet chocolate chips
- flake salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla *optional
On medium high heat in a tall pot on the stovetop, melt butter and coat the pan with the melted butter.
Add the peanut butter, salt and vanilla and continue to melt and stir in with the butter.
Add in the marshmallows, reduce the heat to low, stirring the mixture often.
Pour in cereal and mix until evenly coated.
Pour into a parchment lined sheet pan and gently press cereal mixture until flat with a piece of parchment on top to keep your hands clean.
For the Chocolate Layer
In a small saucepan on low, melt semi sweet chocolate chips and butterscotch chips, stirring often to prevent burning
Once melted, pour chocolate mixture over the cereal treats.
Sprinkle with flake salt while the chocolate is still warm.
Place in freezer for 15 minutes until chocolate is firm. Cut, serve and enjoy!
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
MORE treats to feed a crowd that we LOVE:
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Three Layer Party Bars
- Buttermilk Banana Bread Bars
- Lemon Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars
- Pumpkin Bars
That’s it! I have to know…are scotcheroos a family staple for you too? If yes, do you make them with karo syrup or with mini marshmallows? Let me know in the comments below! I tell ya, they are so much better!