Buttermilk Banana Bread Bars with browned butter frosting. That’s a lot of B’s! We’ve been on a banana kick at our house lately (see our new favorite banana bread with chia seeds), it’s hard not to love bananas especially when they only get better with age. We always have bananas in the freezer for smoothies, but I love how much flavor they add to baked goods.
We made a quick little video to show you how easy they are to make!
This recipe fills a sheet pan. If you need to bring a dessert to feed a crowd, this one would be perfect. You can cut the bars big or smaller if you need to feed more people. Plus they freeze great too.
Print Recipe Here:
- FOR THE BARS
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cups (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- FOR THE FROSTING
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Butter and line with parchment a 18x13 sheet pan.
- For the bars: Beat together softened butter, sugar, buttermilk and eggs until creamy.
- Blend in soft over ripe bananas and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute.
- Spread batter evenly into pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For frosting: In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat until boiling. Allow the butter to turn a golden brown color, then remove from heat immediately.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Whisk together until smooth. Using a spatula, spread the frosting over the warm bars.
- The frosting will be easier to spread while the bars are still warm. Enjoy!
I’m excited for you to try them! They’re so good!
Don’t miss our big list of 25+ ways to use up over ripe bananas!