We’re making Homemade Nutter Butters today! Sure you can pick up a package of these favorite peanut butter cookies at the store, but are they soft and warm from your oven…I didn’t think so. See, now you have to make them! The peanut butter frosting is so simple to mix up, and warning…you might want to eat it all with a spoon, but hold the urge and make these cutest ever little Nutter Butters. We made a fun little video so you can see them in action!
These peanut butter cookies don’t get any easier…only three ingredients. Yep…it’s a dangerous thing when you only need three ingredients to make peanut butter cookies. Now you’re wishing I didn’t tell you. Sorry…not sorry.
- FOR THE COOKIES
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- FOR THE FILLING
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup peanut butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the cookie ingredients together until smooth. Scoop out 1 inch balls of cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Press down with the back of a fork and then press again from the opposite direction, to make the criss-cross pattern on top of each cookie.
- To make the cookie dough into the shape of a Nutter Butter cookie, form the cookie dough ball into a log shape.
- Roll the cookie dough in sugar (optional).
- Press down with the back of a fork and then press again from the opposite direction, to make the criss-cross pattern on top of each cookie. Finish by pinching in both sides of each cookie before baking.
- Bake for 12 minutes and then let cool on the tray for 1-2 more minutes.
- For the filling: beat the butter and peanut butter in a big bowl with a hand mixer together until smooth.
- Slowly add in your powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Spread a tablespoon of the filling onto the bottom side of one of the cookies and then top with another cookie to create a cookie sandwich…a nutter butter sandwich!
That’s it! Now go make them now! Do you have these awesome stainless steel ice cream scoops? They’re my favorite! They make scooping cookie dough a breeze! Also don’t forget these pre-cut parchment paper sheets. They fit the half size sheet pans perfectly.
Before you go…please tell me…which type of cookie do you make the most at home?
Don’t miss our other popular cookie recipes:
-If you love the store bought Nutter Butter Cookies, you’ll love this fun list of 25+ Creative Nutter Butter Ideas
*Affiliate links in this post.