Chicken Pot Pie is one of the best comfort foods around. Our family sure loves it. We are trying to simply things by taking this classic and giving it a ‘semi-homemade’ hack by using Grand biscuits. With flavors you know and love, it really doesn’t get easier than this.
Shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe, and such a time saver. Are you a fan of the rotisserie chicken? I totally am! Sometimes I’ll pick up two, shred both of them and then just freeze one. It’s always a nice to have on hand especially for recipes like this.
So here’s the thing…my first attempt with this recipe, the biscuits did not fully cook. The top half did, but the bottom half of the biscuits were still dough-y. Here’s the solution: pre bake the biscuits on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. It’s helpful to precook the biscuits for half the time and then place them on top of the chicken mixture with the opposite side up to finish baking. This way both sides bake evenly. Because the chicken and veggies are already cooked, it’s just the biscuits that need to bake completely.
- 1 can of Pilsbury Grands Biscuits (8 biscuits)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small package of frozen veggie mixture: carrots, peas, corn and green beans
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth, plus more if desired
- 1 regular can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large sauce pan heat the butter on medium heat. Add the veggie mixture to the pan and saute until the veggies are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and the Cream of Chicken soup. Let the sauce simmer for 1 minute to thicken. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat and add the cooked shredded chicken to the mixture, stirring until the filling is well-combined. If the filling is too thick, stir in extra chicken broth.
- On a parchment lined sheet pan bake the biscuits for half of the time listed on the can for a “pre-bake”. Take them out of the oven.
- Pour the filling into a buttered 13x9-inch baking dish. Top the filling with the 8 biscuits (partially baked), flip them over top to bottom to unsure even baking on the other side. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Enjoy this simple classic comfort with your family.