Sometimes you want to make turkey for Thanksgiving, but not a giant turkey. Have you ever cooked a small turkey or even a bone in turkey breast in a slow cooker (aka crock pot)?! Oh my goodness! It’s so dang good! If you ever have an off year when you are NOT cooking for a crowd, but you still want all the delicious flavors you crave of the classic Thanksgiving Dinner, this is the way to do it!
My friend LeighAnne Wilkes from Your HomeBased Mom just came out with a beautiful new cookbook: Holiday Slow Cooker. It’s awesome! Packed with slow cooker recipes for every holiday throughout the year. If you or someone you know is obsessed with using your slow cooker (raising hand high), this would make a very nice Christmas gift.
Because Thanksgiving is coming up, I decided to tackle her Cover Photo recipe from the new book, and I’m so glad I did because I will definitely be making it again. The turkey was so moist (and I hate that word) and tender. You can even crisp up the skin under the broiler after it’s been cooking for hours if you’d like.
Holiday Slow Cooker – LeighAnnes new book.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 lb. turkey breast with bone in and skin on
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- Mix together the butter, herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Loosen the skin on the turkey breast and rub the herbed butter between the skin and the meat.
- Add the chicken broth to a 6 quart slow cooker
- Place the turkey breast in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until it reaches 165 F in temperature.
Here’s a quick snap of my plate filled with all my Thanksgiving favorites. I’d love to know…do you ever or have you ever cooked a smaller turkey for a few? If so you’ll have to give your slow cooker a try! It’s so good!
More Thanksgiving recipes we love: