Are you spotting bags of cranberries in your produce section these days? Oh how I love cranberries! We especially love this classic recipe for cranberry jalapeno salsa cream cheese dip. It’s the perfect mix of spicy sweet…plus the colors are so festive for this time of year. I have a few helpful tips for making it for your next holiday party.
If you’re planning to travel with this salsa dip… say bring it with you to a holiday party. Wait until you arrive to assemble it. The cranberry juices tend to slip and slide on top of the cream cheese layer and it’s best to assemble when you arrive at your destination to avoid a cranberry juice mess. In the photo below, I show two packages of cream cheese. Use them one at a time. Depending on the amount of people attending your party, you could divide the salsa in half and freeze it for a later date. This way you will just use one package of cream cheese at a time.
I’ll share the full recipe below, but to start, you will blend up all those lovely cranberries. I love my Blendtec Blender for this. Because it’s just the cranberries and no liquid, you’ll need to start and stop a few times to help blend them all evenly.
Now here’s the not so healthy part…the sugar…oh, and the cream cheese. To combat the tartness of the cranberries, they need to soak in sugar…but don’t worry, calories don’t count during the holidays…at least not until January 1st, right?! 😉
Next up you will dice all the jalapenos. Please use caution on this step. wear gloves if you need to, and please don’t touch your eye while you remove the seeds. Don’t worry about the jalapenos adding too much heat to the salsa. With the sugar in this recipe, the heat of the jalapeno peppers is perfect.
Once all the greens are diced up, you’ll add them to the cranberry sugar mixture.
Mix all ingredients together (except for the cream cheese and crackers).
Now you’ll let this mixture blend flavors for 4+ hours in the fridge. Here’s the full recipe:
- 1 -12 oz package fresh cranberries
- ¼ C green onion, chopped
- ¼ C cilantro, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers diced, seeds removed
- 1¼ C sugar
- ¼ t cumin
- 2 T lemon juice
- dash salt
- 2 8oz packages cream cheese
- 2 boxes of wheat thin crackers
- Blend or chop all the cranberries in a blender or food processor. In a bowl add the sugar to the blended cranberries and mix them together well and refrigerate.
- Dice all the jalapeno peppers, be careful to remove the seeds and inner walls before you start. Also chop the green onions and cilantro into small pieces.
- Add all ingredients together into a bowl (except the cream cheese and the wheat thin crackers). Mix it all together, cover and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight. This gives the sugar some time to soak into the cranberries to break up their tartness and allows all the flavors to blend.
- When ready, serve on a plate over one package of softened and spread cream cheese. This is best served with wheat thin crackers.
I’m excited for you to make it! Happy Holidays!
*affiliate links in this post