We recently shared the decadent Overnight French Toast Bake, which is so delicious and a must make for your next special occasion breakfast. After making that, we had a bunch of bread crusts left over, and I’m not a fan of wasting food if I don’t have to. So what to make with a bunch of leftover bread crusts?! Make chocolate chip bread crust pudding! It’s so good and so easy. We topped it off with a little warm homemade buttermilk syrup to take it over the top.
I know there are a bunch of moms who are constantly cutting the crusts off of sandwiches every day, and if you happen to be in that category, this can be a great way to put those leftover bread crusts to good use! So next time you find yourself cutting crusts off a PB&J, add those crusts to a freezer bag and freeze until you have enough to make this. Or you could also try a small mug cake for one. I still have yet to try making a mug cake or a mug bread pudding, but I’ve always wanted to. Have you tried it yet?
We made a quick video so you can see how quick it is to mix up.
Do you love bread pudding? It’s our favorite! The buttermilk syrup on top was a happy surprise!
Print the recipe here:
- 5 cups torn up bread crusts
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- *Homemade Buttermilk Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread torn bread crusts in a single layer of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Drizzle melted butter over the bread.
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips all over the top of the bread.
- In a large glass bowl combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture all over the bread, and lightly press down on the bread to allow all the bread to soak up the egg mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with a big drizzle of buttermilk syrup.
I’m excited for you guys to love it as much as we did! This is definitely one of my husbands favorite things…he loves all things bread pudding.
Don’t miss our video for the Overnight French Toast Bake…you’ll have to make that one too!