Don’t throw out those leftover bread crusts…make bread pudding!
We recently shared the decadent Overnight French Toast Bake, which is so delicious and a must make for your next special occasion breakfast. After making that, we had a bunch of bread crusts left over, and I’m not a fan of wasting food if I don’t have to. So what to make with a bunch of leftover bread crusts?! Make chocolate chip bread crust pudding! It’s so good and so easy. We topped it off with a little warm homemade buttermilk syrup to take it over the top.
What you need to make Chocolate Chip Bread Crust Pudding:
- bread crust
- melted butter
- semi sweet chocolate chips
How to make Chocolate Chip Bread Crust Pudding:
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish
- Add bread to dish: Spread torn bread crusts in a single layer into the 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Pour butter over top: Drizzle melted butter over the bread.
- Add chocolate chips: Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips all over the top of the bread.
- Combine egg mixture: In a large glass bowl combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour over bread: Pour egg mixture all over the bread, and lightly press down on the bread to allow all the bread to soak up the egg mixture.
- Bake: Bake for 40 minutes.
- Enjoy: Serve warm with a big drizzle of buttermilk syrup.
How to store Chocolate Chip Bread Crust Pudding:
Keep this bread crust pudding covered and stored in the refrigerator. It will last up to 5 days!
What to do with the extra crust on your bread:
I know there are a bunch of moms who are constantly cutting the crusts off of sandwiches every day, and if you happen to be in that category, this can be a great way to put those leftover bread crusts to good use! So next time you find yourself cutting crusts off a PB&J, add those crusts to a freezer bag and freeze until you have enough to make this. Or you could also try a small mug cake for one. I still have yet to try making a mug cake or a mug bread pudding, but I’ve always wanted to. Have you tried it yet?
Chocolate Chip substitutes:
If you aren’t a chocolate chip lover, or just aren’t in the mood, try swapping them out for something like blueberries, bananas, or even chopped nuts.
Chocolate Chip Bread Crust Pudding
The best use of your leftover bread crust... delicious bread crust pudding.
- 5 cups bread crusts torn up
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- Homemade Buttermilk Syrup
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Spread torn bread crusts in a single layer into the 9x13 inch baking dish.
Drizzle melted butter over the bread.
Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips all over the top of the bread.
In a large glass bowl combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
Pour egg mixture all over the bread, and lightly press down on the bread to allow all the bread to soak up the egg mixture.
Bake for 40 minutes.
Serve warm with a big drizzle of buttermilk syrup.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
More breakfast recipes that we LOVE:
- Overnight French Toast Bake
- German Pancakes
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
- Breakfast Hash
- Sourdough Breakfast Casserole
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos
That’s it! I’m excited for you guys to love it as much as we did! Let me know what you think in the comments below.