Learn how to make the base for all the delicious Bajio recipes: the Green Chile Chutney.
If you want to learn how to make Bajio’s green chicken chile salad at home, you’ll need to learn how to make this copycat recipe of the famous Bajio green chile chutney – the special sauce that makes the grilled chicken and caramelized onions oh so good! It’s mostly a sweet sauce with a little kick of spice. The Bajio’s green chile chutney is THE reason their green chicken chile salad is our favorite thing to order whenever we eat at Bajio’s. With this copycat recipe, your family & friends will think you ordered take out straight from Bajio!
Ingredients for Green Chili Chutney:
- anaheim peppers
- jalapeno peppers
- sweet onion
- apple cider vinegar
- chili powder
How to make Green Chili Chutney:
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add veggies to pan: Place prepared peppers, tomatillos, and onion on baking sheet covered in tin foil (for easy cleanup.)
- Roast: Roast the vegetables in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until browned.
- Slice: Dice all the peppers.
- Blend together: Blend tomatillos and onion together until smooth.
- Cook: Add all ingredients into a large sauce pan. Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes or until thickened and reduced.
- Adjust: Add more sugar/peppers to adjust the spiciness and or sweetness to your taste.
How to store Green Chili Chutney:
Store this delicious sauce in a sealed container like a jar. You can just keep it in your fridge, and it will last for a few weeks!
Copycat Bajio Green Chili Chutney:
This recipe comes from one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, Bajio. If you’ve ever ordered this salad at Bajio, then you know how good the Bajio green chile chutney is, which makes it so fun to make at home. And it tastes just like the real thing!
Using your blender for Green Chili Chutney:
You will roast all the vegetables in the oven for 30 minutes or so. It’s neat to see how the colors change. Once roasted, you will blend the onions and the tomatillos in your blender until smooth – love my Blendtec Blender for this.
Green Chili Chutney
- 2 anaheim peppers halved, seeds removed
- 3 jalapeno peppers halved, seeds removed
- 1 large sweet onion peeled and halved
- 5-7 tomatillos husks removed
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- dash chili powder
- dash cumin
- dash salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place prepared peppers, tomatillos, and onion on baking sheet covered in tin foil (for easy cleanup.)
Roast the vegetables in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until browned.
Dice all the peppers.
Blend tomatillos and onion together until smooth.
Add all ingredients into a large sauce pan. Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes or until thickened and reduced.
Add more sugar/peppers to adjust the spiciness and or sweetness to your taste.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
More BAJIO MEXICAN RESTAURANT copycat recipes we LOVE:
That’s it! You’ll have to try out this copycat recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below!