This time of year I crave warm soup.
If you love butternut squash, then you’ll love this recipe.
- 1 Butternut Squash (approx 8 cups cubed)
- 1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups Half and Half or whole milk
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash nutmeg
- Sour cream, garnish
- Wash the outside of the squash; slice in half then into 1-inch wide strips, remove seeds and slice off rind; cut strips into 1-inch cubes. Place cubes in 3-qt saucepan, add chicken broth and bring to a boil, covered. Reduce the heat and simmer until it's tender (about 10-15 minutes).*
- While squash is cooking sauté chopped onion and garlic in butter until tender and beginning to brown and caramelize. Add ½ cup Half and Half and puree with an immersion blender.
- Using a potato masher or your immersion blender to mash the squash; add onion and garlic, stir in Half and Half, season to taste with curry, salt and pepper, and nutmeg. Warm through. If desired, thin with additional milk to desired consistency. To serve, garnish with a dollop of fat-free sour cream on top.
- For a little sweeter flavor, you could stir in 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar.
That’s it! It’s a good one! Visit our recipes page for more great recipes like this one. Have a great day!