The best chicken tortilla soup!
The recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup makes great use of rotisserie chicken.
This week’s recipe is definitely ‘all things delicious’. It’s the best chicken tortilla soup that I’ve ever had, and it’s easy too, because you can use a rotisserie chicken. It’s the kind of soup you want to make a big batch of, because it makes the best kind of lunch the next day.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Hearty and a little bit spicy, we love this Mexican inspired soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper seeded and finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 15 ounces can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound cooked chicken shredded - (rotisserie chicken - for ease)
- For the cheese sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces cheese grated (use your favorite or a mix of favorites)
- To finish: top with tortilla chips or strips sour cream, cilantro, and or guacamole
Make the soup: Heat the butter in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery and garlic until soft.
Add a splash of chicken stock, and then the red & green bell and 1/2 jalapeno pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes to soft.
Add all of the spices (salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, sugar, chili powder), and stir until fragrant.
Add the remaining chicken stock, tomato puree and Worchestershire sauce. Mix well and bring to a boil.
Add the shredded chicken and reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or longer.
Make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a paste.
Slowly add the rest of the ingredients, constantly stirring, until thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Add cheese sauce to the soup, stirring to mix well.
When ready to serve, top with cilantro, sour cream and guacamole and tortilla chips.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!