This Hot German potato salad is loaded with crispy bacon and it’s more on the vinegar side than the creamy side, and we love it!
Do you love potato salad? How about crispy bacon? Then you’re in luck! This Hot German potato salad recipe is an old favorite recipe…an oldie but a goodie, one that we keep coming back to. You can serve it warm as a side dish with dinner, or chilled at a BBQ.
What you need to make German Potato Salad:
- red potatoes
- celery seed
- salt and pepper
How to make German Potato Salad:
- Cook potatoes: Boil the sliced potatoes.
- Cook bacon: Cook the bacon. Drain off most all of the bacon fat.
- Saute: Saute the onions in the pan you cooked the bacon.
- Add ingredients: Add the flour, sugar, celery seed, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the water and vinegar. Cook it until it boils.
- Combine with potatoes: Pour this over the potatoes. Add the bacon crumbles at the end. (Don’t overcook the potatoes.)
- You can make this in the morning and heat it later before serving.
How to store German Potato Salad:
Store this potato salad covered in the fridge. It will last around five days chilled! When ready to serve you can keep it chilled or heat it up in the microwave.
Serving German Potato Salad hot or cold:
You can serve this potato salad hot straight after making it, or put it in the fridge to chill before serving. Honestly, both ways are so amazing. You’ll have to try it out and see which way you like best. This is one of my favorite things to eat whether hot or cold straight out of the fridge.
German vs. American potato salad:
The main difference between German and American potato salad is that American is typically made with a mayo dressing, while German is made with a vinegar dressing. If you’re a fan of vinegar you will absolutely love this recipe. The vinegar combined with the crispy bacon makes the perfect combo.
Best potatoes for potato salad:
Typically, more waxy potatoes are best for potato salad. This can include any red or purple-skinned potatoes, or even Yukon Gold. If you don’t have any of these potatoes on hand just go ahead and use what you have. Any potato you have will be equally delicious!
Hot German Potato Salad
Hot german potato salad with a delicious vinegar sauce and loaded with crispy bacon. We love it both served hot and cold.
- 6 red potatoes sliced and boiled
- 6 pieces bacon cooked
- 3/4 cup onion chopped and sauteed in bacon fat
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt +a dash of pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
Boil the sliced potatoes.
Cook the bacon. Drain off most all of the bacon fat.
Saute the onions in the pan you cooked the bacon.
Add the flour, sugar, celery seed, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the water and vinegar. Cook it until it boils.
Pour this over the potatoes. Add the bacon crumbles at the end. (Don't overcook the potatoes.)
You can make this in the morning and heat it later before serving.
You can use any potatoes you'd like: russets, red or yellow.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
MORE potato recipes we LOVE:
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Crispy Oven Potatoes with Cheese and Bacon
- 3 steps for the perfect baked potato
That’s it! Have you ever made German Potato Salad? If not you’ll have to try it out and let me know what you think in the comments below!