This Grapefruit Avocado Salad is so delicious. It’s a salad you can enjoy all year, because all the ingredients are available year round.
This salad is one of our family favorites. It’s one of those salads that you keep in the rotation. It’s perfect for spring and summer, although it works great in the winter too, because all the fruit ingredients are easy to find year round.
The best part of this salad are the grapefruit segments. Have you ever segmented a grapefruit or supremed one, as they call it? I was in citrus heaven when I was doing this! Just look at those pretty colors!
Here’s the big players minus the lettuce. So colorful and fresh!
…and the dressing. Homemade dressing is the best, and this one is a keeper.
Grapefruit avocado salad with poppy seed dressing
- 1/2 head iceburg lettuce - broken into bite size pieces
- 1/2 head red leaf lettuce - broken into bite size pieces
- 1 grapefruit, segmented with the membranes removed
- avocado sliced
- pears thinly sliced (you can also substitue a tart apple for this recipe)
- green onion sliced thin
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup vinegar red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 green onions diced thin and small
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash tabasco
Prepare the dressing first to give it time to chill in the fridge before tossing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined. Chill for a few hours before serving.
Toss all the salad ingredients with the dressing right before serving.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
Grapefruit and avocado salad with poppy seed dressing
– 1/2 head of iceburg lettuce – broken into bite size pieces
– 1/2 head of red leaf lettuce – broken into bite size pieces
– grapefruit segments (with the membranes removed)
– avocado, sliced
– pears, thinly sliced (you can also substitue a tart apple for this recipe)
– green onion, sliced thin
Poppy Seed Dressing
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 green onions, diced thin and small
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
1 scant Tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash of Tabasco
1/2 Cup vinegar (red or white wine vinegar)
1/2 Cup olive oil
1/2 Cup Vegetable oil
Prepare the dressing first to give it time to chill in the fridge before tossing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined. Chill for a few hours before serving. Toss all the salad ingredients with the dressing right before serving.
Recipe adapted from a Pinch of Salt Lake cookbook (no longer in print)…it’s a great cookbook!
It’s such a fresh and flavorful salad. You’ll have to add it to your favorites too.
Looking for more great salad recipes? You will love:
– spinach tortellini salad
– pear gorgonzola salad