Easy Chile Relleno Casserole.
This recipe for Chile Relleno is one of my go-to dinners in a hurry because I almost always have all the ingredients on hand. I love casseroles because they come together so easily in one pan, and are pure comfort food! This Chile Relleno Casserole is so warm and gooey and has that delicious Chile relleno flavor. It puffs up in the oven right before you take it out. It’s so good. I hope you try it! If you are craving normal Chile Relleno, try out our recipe here.
What you’ll need to make Chile Relleno Casserole:
- Canned whole green Chiles
- Tomato sauce
- Half and half
- Grated cheddar jack or Mexican blend cheese
How to make Chile Relleno Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Drain and chop whole green Chiles.
- Mix together the half and half, eggs and flour until smooth.
- Layer the Chiles, egg mixture, tomato sauce and cheese into an 8×8 glass Pyrex dish.
- Bake for 1 hour. Out of the oven let it cool for 10-15 minutes to cut into it easily.
How to store Chile Relleno Casserole:
You can just keep the casserole in the same dish you baked it in and store in the fridge. It will stay good for 3-5 days!
Tips and Tricks for Chile Relleno Casserole:
- Removing seeds: Remove all seeds inside of the Chiles before making this recipe.
- Preparing baking dish: Spray the baking dish with cooking spray to keep it from sticking
- Extra puffy eggs: For really puffy eggs really mix the eggs together well before adding the half and half and flour.
- After baking: Out of the oven, let the casserole set for 10 to 15 minutes to cut even squares.
- Swapping sauce: Swap the tomato sauce with your favorite green enchilada sauce if you prefer green sauce to red
- Add meat: Try adding cooked and seasoned ground beef or chorizo to this dish if you want meat.
Why does Chile Relleno Casserole puff up in the oven?
When the egg mixture is baked it starts to puff up and start to brown. It tastes so amazing with the bubbly cheese and the Chile flavor.
Difference between Chile Relleno and Chile Relleno Casserole:
In a classic Chile relleno, your pepper is stuffed with cheese, battered, and fried. Chile Relleno Casserole is basically just taking all of the ingredients from Chile relleno and baking them together in a baking dish. Same great taste without the frying!
What to serve with Chile Relleno Casserole:
Here are some great things to pair with this casserole:
Chile Relleno Casserole
The flavors of Chile Relleno you love in an easy delicious casserole for the whole family.
- 3 4oz. cans whole green chiles
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1/2 pound grated cheese cheddar/jack or mexican blend
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Drain and chop whole green chiles.
Mix together the half and half, eggs and flour until smooth.
Layer the chiles, egg mixture, tomato sauce and cheese into an 8×8 glass pyrex dish.
Bake for 1 hour. Out of the oven let it cool for 10-15 minutes to cut into it easily.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
More delicious casserole recipes that we LOVE:
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Rice A Roni Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Sourdough Breakfast Casserole
- Shepherd’s Pie
That’s it! Make this casserole and let me know how you think it compares to Chile Relleno in the comments below!