Do you love potato salad? How about crispy bacon? Then you’re in luck! This potato salad recipe is an oldie but a goodie, one that I keep coming back to. You can serve it warm as a side dish with dinner, or chilled at a BBQ.
I LOVE this recipe for Hot German Potato Salad. I’m not sure if it’s the vinegar or the bacon, but both make this one of my favorite things to eat whether hot or cold straight out of the fridge. Yum!
Here’s the recipe:
- 6 red potatoes (sliced and boiled)
- 6 pieces of bacon (cooked)
- ¾ Cup Onion (chopped and sauteed in bacon fat)
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- ½ tsp celery seed
- 1½ tsp. Salt + a dash of pepper
- ¾ Cup water
- ½ cup Vinegar
- Boil the sliced potatoes. Cook the bacon. Drain off most all of the bacon fat. Saute the onions in the pan you cooked the bacon. Add the flour, sugar, celery seed, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the water and vinegar. Cook it until it boils. Pour this over the potatoes. Add the bacon crumbles at the end. (Don't overcook the potatoes.)
- You can make this in the morning and heat it later before serving. Note: You can use any potatoes you'd like: russets, red or yellow.
- When it comes to potato salad, do you like your potato salad more "mayo-y" OR more "vinegar-y"?
*More delicious bacon recipes here.
*This post originally published May 16th 2012. Sharing this delicious recipe again with new photos.