Simple Oatmeal and Date Sandwich Cookies
Do you have certain recipes that just take you back in time…and the memories of your childhood come flooding in? These Oatmeal Date Sandwich Cookies are one of those for me. They’re such an old fashioned cookie, one that my sweet Grandma Kae loved to make and we all loved it when she did. If you love oatmeal cookies, you’ll love these. Two thin oatmeal cookies with a sweet date mixture sandwiched inside. We used a heart shaped cookie cutter for these cookies, but you could use any shape…a circle with a cute scalloped edge would be fun too.
What you need to make Oatmeal Date Sandwich Cookies:
- brown sugar
- baking soda
- pitted dates
How to make Oatmeal Date Sandwich Cookies:
- Cream shortening and sugar: With a mixer, cream together the shortening with the brown sugar.
- Create dough: Add in the buttermilk, baking soda, oatmeal and flour. Mix together well.
- Chill: Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat: Preheat your oven to 350.
- Roll and cut: Roll out the cookie dough and cut with a cookie cutter.
- Bake: Bake until lightly brown (about 8-10 minutes).
- Cook dates: In a saucepan, stir and cook the dates with the water, until thick. Let this mixture cool.
- Assemble: Spread the date mixture between two oatmeal cookies to make a sandwich.
- Repeat and enjoy: Repeat to make all the cookies into little sandwich cookies. Enjoy!
How to store Oatmeal Date Sandwich Cookies:
Store these cookies sealed at room temperature for up to one week. You can also make them in advance and keep them in the freezer!
Family favorite cookie recipes:
My sweet Grandma Kae has passed down the love of baking cookies to all of us. Just look at the cookies she made for my Grandpa’s memorial. Isn’t that amazing…she’s 85! She sure is something special! She baked: chocolate chip cookies, chocolate crinkle cookies, chocolate marshmallow cookies, sugar cookies and bron grate cookies.
Tips and tricks:
- The dough is sticky, so when you roll them out, it helps to have a rolling cloth and a rolling pin stocking to roll them out with.
- You can use any shape you like to cut out your cookies. We used heart shaped cookie cutters.
- Only bake these cookies for a few minutes until lightly golden brown so that they don’t burn.
- Make sure to buy pitted dates! It is a long and tedious process to pit them yourself.
Assembling Oatmeal and Date Sandwich Cookies:
Once you have both your cookies and your date filling mixture, just spread the filling in between two cookies, and press together. The oatmeal cookie along with the sweet date mixture is the best combination!
Oatmeal Date Sandwich Cookies
Delicious recipe for Old Fashioned Oatmeal and Date Sandwich Cookies.
- 1 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Cups Oatmeal
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 pound pitted dates
- 1/2 cup water
With a mixer, cream together the shortening with the brown sugar.
Add in the buttermilk, baking soda, oatmeal and flour. Mix together well.
Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
Preheat your oven to 350.
Roll out the cookie dough and cut with a cookie cutter.
Bake until lightly brown (about 8-10 minutes).
In a saucepan, stir and cook the dates with the water, until thick. Let this mixture cool.
Spread the date mixture between two oatmeal cookies to make a sandwich.
Repeat to make all the cookies into little sandwich cookies. Enjoy!
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
More fun cookie recipes that we LOVE:
- Browned Butter Salted Caramel Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- No Bake Butterscotch Coconut Cookies
- Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
That’s it! I hope you try these simple and delicious cookies and let me know what you think in the comments below!