If you love german chocolate cake, then you’ll love this recipe: homemade german chocolate pie. It’s so rich and creamy.
This pie is like chocolate pudding and german chocolate cake happy together. The crust and filling pair so well together! We are big chocolate lovers at our house, and by we I mostly mean my daughter and I. For some reason the boys in our house are vanilla lovers all the way, but we don’t mind, because it only means more chocolate for us, and this German Chocolate Pie is the best chocolate fix!
What you need to make German Chocolate Pie:
- coconut flakes
- brown sugar
- homemade pie shell
- vanilla jello pudding
- german chocolate bar
How to make German Chocolate Pie:
- Heat coconut, pecans, butter, and sugar: Heat the coconut, pecans, butter and brown sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Pour into crust: Pour this mixture into the already baked pie shell and bake at 450’ for just 5 minutes. Let it cool.
- Prepare filling: For the chocolate filling, add the vanilla pudding, milk and chocolate bar to a saucepan and cook according to pudding directions for pie.
- Cool: Cool 5 minutes stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is well combined with the pudding mix and milk.
- Add to pie shell: Pour the chocolate pudding into the pie shell.
- Chill: Chill the pie in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve: When ready to serve, top with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
How to store German Chocolate Pie:
Keep this pie stored covered in the fridge. It will last around 3 to 4 days. Make this pie for family and friends… it’s a crowd pleaser!
German Chocolate cake vs. German Chocolate Pie:
German Chocolate Cake and Pie have all of the same flavors, they’re just put together differently! With cake, the coconut and pecans are usually found in the frosting and paired with a basic chocolate cake. In the pie, we add the coconut and pecan mixture on the bottom, and top with chocolate pie filling.
Pie for breakfast:
Pair it with a big glass of ice cold milk and you have the breakfast of champions! I kid…well sort of. We all know that if there’s pie for dessert, chances are (if there is any left), there will be pie for breakfast too.
Pie crust for German Chocolate Pie:
We like to use our tried and true Pie Crust recipe for this pie. It is buttery, flakey, and the perfect pair for the delicious chocolate filling!
Coconut and pecans in German Chocolate Pie:
In our version of German Chocolate Pie, we add coconut and chopped pecans to the bottom of the pie. It adds so much flavor and texture without being too overpowering. You’re going to love it!
German Chocolate Pie
Chocolate pie meets german chocolate cake...its a match made in chocolate heaven. We love this pie!
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup pecans chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup butter
- homemade pie shell baked and ready to go
- 1 4.6oz. box Cook and Serve Vanilla Jello Pudding mix (not instant)
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 german chocolate bar
Heat the coconut, pecans, butter and brown sugar until sugar dissolves.
Pour this mixture into the already baked pie shell and bake at 450’ for just 5 minutes. Let it cool.
For the chocolate filling, add the vanilla pudding, milk and chocolate bar to a saucepan and cook according to pudding directions for pie.
Cool 5 minutes stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is well combined with the pudding mix and milk.
Pour the chocolate pudding into the pie shell.
Chill the pie in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
When ready to serve, top with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
More pie recipes that we LOVE:
- Chocolate Truffle Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Eggnog Cream Pie
- Marshmallow Pumpkin Pie
- Caramel Apple Slab Pie
- Peaches and Cream Pie
- Strawberry Slab Pie
- Peach Soda Cracker Pie
That’s it! If you make this pie, please let me know in the comments below! You’re going to love it.
Leave a Comment