All the secrets for THE BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Everyone has their favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. It’s really crazy how each recipe can be so similar yet with a few small changes they can turn out so different. For years my brother in law has made the best chocolate chip cookies. He recently shared all his secrets with me and said I could share them here…so take notes, this is our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Simple Hacks to the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Swap butter flavored Crisco for butter.
- Use an ice cream scoop for uniform cookie dough balls.
- Gently press each cookie dough ball down with a spoon before baking.
- The Method: under bake, cover and let sit on hot baking sheet for 10-15 minutes out of the oven.
- Enjoy! …the perfection of the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies! Mmmmm.
Why use Butter Flavored Crisco instead of butter?
Cookies made with butter tend to spread out much more during baking than those made with Crisco. Also, they tend to be crisper around the edges. To keep your chocolate chip cookies fluffy, round and light, we love to use Butter Flavored Crisco. For taste, we like the taste of butter flavored crisco.
Shape cookie dough before baking:
The Crisco helps the cookie to keep it’s form, so it’s more important to get the shape right before baking. Use an ice cream scoop to keep the cookie dough balls uniform in size. Next, gently press each cookie dough ball down slightly with a spoon. This part is crucial for getting an even bake. You won’t regret taking the little extra time to do it.
Are under baked chocolate chip cookies really better?
Yes, yes they are. The key is not to just under bake, the key is to keep them on the hot pan and gently cover them with parchment paper and a clean hand towel to trap in the heat. The cover part is just as crucial. Bake them about 10-11 minutes in the oven, then cover them with a piece of parchment paper and your not-so-favorite-okay-to-get-greasy designated cookie covering hand towel. Make sure your towel is lightweight and free from detergents that might make your cookies taste like laundry . Now just walk away. Leave them there on the cookie sheet and let them cool slowly. The towel will trap the heat in just enough to slow down the cooling process and allow them the littlest bit of low temp cooking that brings them to perfection.
What you need to bake the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies:
• 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (*add 1/4 cup more for high altitude baking)
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 stick Crisco butter flavored
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• semi sweet chocolate chips desired amount
How to make the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a stand mixer whip the butter flavored crisco until lightened in color.
- Add in the sugar, brown sugar and vanilla and mix together until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Add in the desired chocolate chips (Or if you prefer less chocolate chips, you can press a few into the outsides of the dough rather than mix them in).
- With a round ice cream scoop, drop cookie dough balls onto a baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- With the back of a spoon, gently press each cookie dough ball down to help flatten them out a bit before baking.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheets covered with parchment paper and hand towel to trap in the heat for another 10-15 minutes.
- Recipe makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe with a few tweaks to make them perfect every time!
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick Butter Flavored Crisco
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips *or desired amount
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
In a stand mixer whip the butter flavored crisco until lightened in color. Add in the sugar, brown sugar and vanilla and mix together until creamy.
Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
Add in the chocolate chips and slowly mix for a short time to mix them in.
With a round ice cream scoop, drop cookie dough balls onto a parchment lined sheet pan.
With the back of a spoon, press each cookie dough ball down to help flatten them out a bit before baking.
Bake for 10-11 minutes until slightly golden brown.
Cool on baking sheets covered with a hand towel for 10-15 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
*For high altitude baking add 1/4 cup more flour.
*We prefer less chocolate chips to more, if this is your house too, you can press a few chocolate chips into the outsides of the cookies before baking rather than mixing them into the dough.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @NoBiggie using the hashtag #NoBiggieRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
MORE cookie recipes we LOVE:
*If you are more of a fan of milk chocolate chips for chocolate chip cookies, you will love this chocolate chip cookie recipe that we love for making skillet cookies, aka “pizookies”. That recipe is quite different with vanilla pudding in the dough and milk chocolate chips. We love both recipes for different reasons.