Make big paper medallions for your 4th of July celebration!
Paper Medallions for the 4th of July
It’s that time of year to start planning those backyard BBQs and patriotic parties. Here’s a simple and festive way to decorate for a party this Summer. Fill big glass vases with festive red, white and blue candy and top them off with these accordion folded paper medallions, or paper “lollies” …like a big lolly pop, as we like to call them, because they look like a giant lollipop! With so many cute double sided 12×12 patterned papers available these days, you can really have fun with this simple paper craft. They would look great as a centerpiece at your 4th of July BBQ. You can also vary the sizes of these.
What you need to make a 12×12 paper medallion
The DIY instructions are pretty straight forward. The best part is that the candy can double as your decor.
-Candy – gum balls – tootsie rolls – salt water taffy
-12×12inch cardstock paper, in assorted red white and blue colors
-double sided tape
-a scoring tool, optional…but very helpful for straight line folds
– low temp hot glue gun
How to make paper medallions for the 4th of July
1. Cut a 12×12 piece of paper into 3- 4×12 strips.
2. Fold the strips accordion style at about 1 inch apart back and forth (1/2 inch folds work well for smaller paper fans or “lollies”). To assure straight lines, a scoring tool is so helpful. I have both the large and smaller one and I love and use both.
3. Using double sided tape stick all three strips of folded paper together forming a circle.
4. Hold the circle down flat and add a big drop of hot glue to hold it together in the center.
5. The weight of a heavy can is helpful in the center as the hot glue dries.
6. Embellish! Once your paper medallion or “lollie” is made, get creative with the center embellishments. You can layer smaller medallions on top (like you see above) and top with different patriotic embellishments like paper tooth pick flags or stickers to make it look more finished on both sides.
MORE Red, White and Blue DIY Decor and Paper Crafts
–Festive insulator cups for the 4th of July
–Red, White and Blue metallic banner
–Unique United States Flag printable
–Easy 4th of July Candy Buffet
–Meringue Cookie Toothpick flag holders
–4th of July Free Printable Treat Bag Topper
–Cupcake Paper Decor