You know what’s easier than waffles? french toast. And you know what’s easier than cooking french toast in a pan? Cooking french toast on a waffle iron!
Have you ever tried this before? It’s like the best of both worlds, and it’s definitely my new favorite way to cook french toast. It’s so fast! Top with pineapple and coconut syrup, and it’s like you’ve escaped to a tropical island for breakfast…or something. 🙂
Here in Utah, we are lucky to have THE best white bread…which makes for some excellent french toast. We have some friends that always stock up on it when they’re in town.
I use a glass pie plate for easy dipping, along with a little bit of cinnamon into the milk and egg mixture.
For the coconut buttermilk syrup, I used my favorite buttermilk syrup recipe, and just added a teaspoon of coconut extract at the very end.
Here’s the recipe:
- 6 slices of bread (your choice)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix the eggs and milk together. Move mixture into a pie plate for easy dipping. Sprinkle the egg mixture with cinnamon.
- Dredge both sides of the french toast in the mixture allowing the excess to drip back into the pie plate.
- Place into warm waffle iron and close until finished cooking.
- Serve with warm syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 1½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- Bring to a boil the first four ingredients (sugar, buttermilk, butter, and corn syrup).
- Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. It will bubble up big. Having it off the heat and stirring constantly will help it not boil over.
- Finish by stirring in the vanilla and the coconut extract.
Dust with powdered sugar and serve with the warm syrup.
Have a great day!