This Upside Down Lemon Meringue Dessert is a family favorite. The recipe came from my Grandma Kae…one of the best cooks I know. The best part is the meringue crust on the bottom. Most Lemon Meringue recipes have the meringue on top, but this one has the crunchy meringue on the bottom. Oooh it’s so good! We recently tried this recipe in small single serving cups and the presentation was so adorable. Either way you serve it, this recipe is a crowd favorite…plus it’s perfect for Spring!
We made a fun video to go with this favorite lemon dessert!
Aren’t these little glass dessert jars adorable? You can find similar glass dessert jars here. (affiliate link)
- Bottom Layer: Meringue
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Middle Layer: Lemon Curd
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 TBS. cornstarch
- 2 TBS. lemon juice
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup sugar
- Top Layer: Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBS powdered sugar
- For the meringue: Ina stand mixer, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and sugar together. The key to a good meringue crust is to gradually mix in the sugar. Go slow here, take your time. You should get a crispy meringue crust if it's done right after it's baked (not chewy). Spread this into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake @ 300 for 1 hour. Let cool.
- For the lemon curd layer: In a saucepan on medium heat stir the egg yolks, cornstarch, lemon juice, hot water and sugar until thick. Let this cool a bit.
- For the whipped cream: Mix the heavy cream, vanilla and powdered sugar until stiff peaks almost form.
- When the meringue is cool, pour the lemon mixture over it. Then top with the whipped cream and refrigerate for one hour. Enjoy!
Now doesn’t that sound good?! It’s a great dessert for Spring. If you are crazy for all things lemon, you will love it!
*OPD: 3/28/2012 – Updating this recipe with new photos + a video. Original photo below: