We are big chocolate lovers at our house, and by we I mostly mean my daughter and I. For some reason the boys in our house are vanilla lovers all the way, but we don’t mind, because it only means more chocolate for us. (wink)
If you love german chocolate cake, then you’ll love this recipe: homemade german chocolate pie. It’s so rich and creamy. Pair it with a big glass of ice cold milk and you have the breakfast of champions! I kid…well sort of. We all know that if there’s pie for dessert, chances are (if there is any left), there will be pie for breakfast too.
We are updating this favorite pie recipe with some new photos and a video! Now you can see just how to make it! (video below)
This post has a mix of the old and new photos…I wanted to leave both up. Which one will you pin…the old or the new?
Here’s a bit of the step by step in photos. The full recipe will follow.
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup butter
- - homemade baked pie shell
- For the filling:
- 1 large jello vanilla pudding, (not instant)
- 2 ½ cups milk,
- 1 german chocolate bar
- Heat the coconut, pecans, butter and brown sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Pour into pie shell and bake at 450’ for 5 minutes. Let it cool.
- For the chocolate filling, add the vanilla pudding, milk and chocolate bar to a saucepan and cook according to pudding directions for pie.
- Cool 5 minutes stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and is well combined with the pudding mix and milk.
- Pour into the pie shell.
- Chill the pie in the fridge 4 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings to serve.
If you’re in need of a good pie crust recipe…this is it!
That’s it! I hope you love it as much as we do!
*OPD: 2/24/2014 – sharing again with new photos and a video!