Yay we finally got snow today! What a fun way to kick off this festive time of year. I love to plan fun things for our Christmas advent calendar because it helps add to the anticipation of Christmas and it gives Avery something to look forward to each day, even if it’s something really simple. I have been trying to come up with ideas to fill each one of these little boxes. Some of them will be traditions and some will be little trinkets.
I have been making a list of traditions (old and new) that I want to make sure we have a chance to experience as a family this year.
Here are the Old:
- A visit with Santa and have her write a letter (a letter in pictures, even better).
- Take a drive to look at Christmas lights in our area with a stop for hot chocolate.
- Read the Christmas Story in the Bible (in Luke) to remind us the true reason for Christmas.
- Plan one night to just sit by the fire and listen to Christmas music as we admire all the twinkly sparkly lights.
- New Christmas Jammies for Avery on Christmas Eve (thanks “Gramma Clean”).
- Make Christmas Rosette Cookies.
- Read a Christmas book to her every night before bed.
- Take Avery shopping to pick out her cousin gifts.
- Make a special night to watch a favorite Christmas Movie (It’s A Wonderful Life, Polar Express, Elf, A Christmas Story… “F-R-A-G-I-L-E, huh, it must be italian” -Love It!).
- Oh yeah, and how could I forget about Rommegrat
And the New:
- Plan something service oriented as a family.
- Vote on a “Best Christmas Lights” house and have a card and award to leave on their doorstep.
- Sprinkle reindeer food in the front yard on Christmas eve and leave a silver bell for Christmas morning.
- Have a kid crafty day.
- Host a holiday party this year.
- Make homemade marshmallows this year.
- Buy one Christmas book and one Christmas movie to add to our collection.
- Plan a special night or afternoon at the movies (maybe Enchanted, it looks funny).
- Have a “Red Ryder” gift this year, one at the end that she can search for.
What is on your tradition list? Anything new you are adding this year?