I have a delicious recipe for you guys today: Sweet and Sour Meatballs. This recipe comes from the new cookbook: Our Sweet Basil Kitchen from my friend Carrian of the blog: Oh Sweet Basil. Their new book just came out and it’s filled with so many great recipes. With permission, I’m excited to share one recipe from the new book: Sweet and Sour Meatballs.
For fun we created a video so you can see how easy they come together at home:
It was hard to pick a favorite recipe from their new cookbook, because they all looked delicious!
Like this Million Dollar Pie…I mean, C’mon!
I ended up on page 123 and I’m so glad I did…because my whole family loved these meatballs.
Baked in the oven…that’s the way to cook a bunch of meatballs, so easy!
I loved how colorful all the bell peppers looks in the sauce.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ⅔ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dry minced onion
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ⅓ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ can mandarin oranges, smashed with their juices
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- green onions for garnish
- steamed rice for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a sheet pan with foil for baking (and easy cleanup).
- In a large bowl add ground beef, bread crumbs, dried onion, egg, coconut milk, ginger, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until just combined. Rub a little oil on your hands and then roll the meat mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Place meatballs on prepared sheet pan.
- Bake 20 minutes in the oven.
- To make the sauce: In a large wide sauce pan over medium heat add the oil, chopped peppers and garlic. Saute until tender about 3 minutes. Add onion powder, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Stir to combine and then add the oranges and juice. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile stir the cornstarch and water together and then whisk into the sauce. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Toss the meatballs into the sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve over steamed rice.
I’m excited for you to check it out! Your family will thank you! –Our Sweet Basil Kitchen CookBook–