One of my favorite make ahead dinners is this scalloped potatoes and ham bake. It’s a must when you have leftover ham, like after the holidays or a big family get together. It’s warm and cheesy and pure comfort food. The best part is that you can make it in the morning or the night before and bake it when you’re ready! We shared an awesome list of 25+ different recipe ideas for ways to use leftover ham, and I’m excited to try so many of them!
I love when I already have most the ingredients on hand…this is one of those recipes.
After you peel and slice all the potatoes, keep them under water so they don’t discolor. Pull them out of the water right before you layer them into this dish and season them up with lots of salt and pepper. The water will help the s&p stick to all sides.
I’m using a square glass baking dish for this, but you can also use a bigger dish to feed a big group.
PRINT RECIPE HERE:
- 5 potatoes, peeled
- 8-10 slices ham
- 3 cups grated cheese, cheddar or mozzarella work great here
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Slice the peeled potatoes and keep in water to avoid browning..
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper, tossing them to make sure they’re coated.
- In a greased, square baking dish layer the potatoes, ham and cheese and repeat this layer pattern until you run out of ingredients for each layer or you almost reach the top.
- Top with more cheese on the final layer.
- In a small bowl, mix the heavy cream and eggs. Pour on top of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown.
- Cool slightly, slice and serve!
It’s a classic for sure, a recipe I always come back to.
Do you have a favorite left over ham recipe? I’d love to hear!