Last Summer our neighbors brought over a fresh peach pie and the crust + fresh peaches together was heavenly! She kindly shared her pie crust recipe with us, and I loved learning that soda crackers were in the crust! Yep…soda crackers. Like the kind of crackers you stock up on when you’re sick. Some call them saltine crackers or soda crackers. The name soda cracker comes from the fact that they are made with baking soda. Anyway…the saltiness of the soda crackers along with the sweetness of the crunchy meringue style crust with loads of sliced fresh peaches piled on top makes this the best peach pie!
We made a quick video so you can see it come together in a quick minute!
Here’s the thing. This is not one of those perfect slice of pie…pies. It’s more of a “everybody grab a fork”, it’s so good kind of pies. If you’re a germ phobe, and beautiful presentation is important to you, you could try baking the crust in little individual pies for more of a self serving sort of thing. Any way you decide to serve it, you can’t go wrong, because it’s so delicious!
It’s peach season right now, so we are making all the things, and this peach pie will be happening again soon!
Print Recipe here:
- 3 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 14 soda crackers (1/2 cup in crumbs)
- ½ cup pecans, crushed *OPTIONAL
- 8 - 12 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream
- With a hand mixer (or a stand mixer) whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- Add in the baking powder and gradually add the sugar, continue whisking until the egg whites are stiff.
- In a ziplock bag roll the soda crackers until they are a fine crumb.
- Fold in the soda cracker crumbs into the whipped egg whites.
- Move mixture into a greased pie dish.
- Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Peel and slice the peaches. Move sliced peaches to a colander with a bowl under it to collect excess peach juices.
- In a small sauce pan thicken the peach juices with cornstarch and cook until thickened.
- Toss the peaches with powdered sugar and the thickened peach juice to make a glaze.
- When ready top the pie crust with the fresh peaches.
- You can keep the pie chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.
MORE fresh peach recipes we love: