It’s that time of year when a warm hearty soup is what I crave, and if it can be made in a crockpot (or slow cooker), even better! This crockpot white bean ranch chicken chili (yes…I know that’s a mouthful), is just that…a delicious mouthful of a hearty soup to warm you up. If you love using slow cooker, you’ll have to check out a bunch of our other favorite slow cooker / crockpot recipes.
This soup can be creamy or not, it’s up to you. Just add a big dollop of sour cream (that word: dollop makes me laugh), and just mix it right in. You could also add chips too if you’d like.
Okay, here’s the lineup of ingredients. The full recipe will be below. I love to see all the ingredients lined up before I start. It also helps in case you forget anything.
You want to know something funny? People love to see the raw ingredients in the crockpot before everything is cooked. Isn’t that weird?! So I share it for those who like the visual. For those that get grossed out by raw chicken, sorry about that. 😉
You’ll cook the chicken and other ingredients in the slow cooker until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily.
Once the chicken is cooked all the way, you’ll take it out of the crock pot and let it cool for a minute. Then you will shred it with two forks and then add it back into the crock pot.
- 3 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth, one 32oz. box
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or ½ teaspoon store bought minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- 1 cup frozen fresh corn
- sour cream, lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro to garnish (optional)
- In your crock pot / slow cooker, combine chicken broth, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and dry ranch dressing mix. Add chicken breasts to the broth, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred it. Return the shredded chicken back into the crock pot and add the drained beans, chopped green chilies, and corn. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Cover your crock pot with the lid and cook for another 30 minutes or until the chicken, beans, and corn are warmed through. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a squeeze of lime juice and chopped cilantro.
You’ll add in all the other ingredients 30 minutes before serving. That’s it!
I hope you try it! It would be perfect on a chilly fall night…or anytime really.