One of my favorite easy dinners is French Dip sandwiches. They’re a breeze to make when you use your crockpot. The beef gets so tender cooking in the au jus for hours. It’s a great dinner on a night when you know you’ll be short on time. Plus there is just something so nice about knowing what you’re having for dinner at the beginning of the day. That’s the best thing about using your crock pot! So get out your crock pot…we’re making french dip sandwiches!
To start you’ll need a 3-4 pound chuck roast, water and a packet of Lipton Beefy onion soup mix.
We love sautéed mushrooms and onions too. You’ll want to cook these in a big pan and have them warm right before serving.
The packet of beefy onion soup mix really makes this recipe so easy, and the au jus delicious!
Just cover with water…read the packet of soup mix, and add the recommended amount.
Then let is cook away all day, and your house will smell so good!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 - 3-4 lb. chuck roast, excess fat removed
- 2 packets Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix (only use 1 packet if using beef stock)
- 4 Cups water or 1 quart of beef stock
- 1 package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 stick of butter
- 6-8 french rolls, sliced
- 6-8 slices swiss or Provolone cheese
- Remove any excess fat from the roast, and place into your crock pot.
- Sprinkle the packets of soup mix over the roast into the crock pot.
- Pour the water over the roast, making sure the roast is completely covered.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- Saute the sliced onions and mushrooms in half a stick of butter in a big pan on medium high heat.
- When tender remove the roast from the crockpot and shred it with a fork.
- Strain the remaining juice to be used for dipping.
- Butter and toast the inside of the rolls, cut side down in a big pan.
- Quickly warm up the slices of cheese in the pan right before adding it to the sandwich.
- Layer the shredded beef, sautéed onions, mushrooms and the warmed sliced cheese into the toasted roll. Serve with a ramekin of warm au jus to dip.
It’s so yummy! If you’ve never tried making french dip sandwiches with your crock pot or slow cooker (whatever you call it), you must! It so good, and easy too!
What’s your favorite thing to make using your crock pot?
If you need some inspiration, here’s a bunch of crock pot recipes to get you started!
Have a great day!